- Dimension Data announced its new Clinical Mobility Solution, designed to improve patient safety and caregiver efficiency. The company aims to minimize operating expenses for healthcare organizations while improving communication.
The solution’s framework is built to help healthcare organizations develop successful mobile strategies. As more mobile devices are introduced into health IT infrastructure, organizations need to deploy solutions to help control the mobile network connections.
The HIMSS mobile technology survey found that 90 percent of healthcare professionals use mobile devices in their daily workflow. These mobile devices need to be integrated with existing infrastructure solutions so mobile applications can be securely and properly used.
Dimension Data’s solution contains features to better connect healthcare applications to the mobility solution.
- Alert and alarm management –alarm notifications are pushed out to targeted healthcare staff on their devices at hand for immediate action.
- Medication management – enables providers to scan medication barcodes and instantly cross-reference patient records to ensure a drug won't cause an adverse reaction.
- Clinical decision support – securely puts caregivers in contact with other reputable sources, including specialists and colleagues in different locations.
- Directory services –hospital staff can click on names, rather than dialing extensions, and also immediately connect with colleagues on the devices they're carrying.
- Electronic health record access – ensures timely and consistent access to critical patient data.
"Improving patient care and safety is a paramount concern in modern hospitals, and a major motivating factor in the development of mobility strategies," Director of Dimension Data's healthcare practice Jason Brandt said in a statement. "The Mobility Solution and flexible approach to technology innovation have helped improve patient outcomes and provider efficiencies, while saving our clients’ money. We bring executive leadership, technology leadership and clinical leadership together to make sure everyone – especially the patient – benefits."
Along with its new clinical mobility solution, Dimension Data is also debuting a new interface to make its solution more user friendly for clinicians. The interface upgrade aims to increase clinician response times.
The upgrade also works with Dimension Data’s Virtual Patient Observation (VPO) solution which includes on-demand video interaction and an intuitive interface.
Mobility management solutions not only give clinicians an easier time in communicating and sharing information, but they also give IT departments better visibility into the devices connecting to the network. The clearer the lines of communication among users, the easier it is for IT to manage them.
Solid mobility management solutions assist IT administrators in detecting unauthorized activity. This type of management is especially significant to the healthcare industry because of the regulations protecting patient information. Additionally, stronger mobility management can help against the potential consequences organizations face when data is breached or is improperly secured.
Organizations with mobile device policies cannot get away with mobility management solutions that just protect the endpoint alone. Many modern solutions include cloud access and storage for mobile devices, which leave endpoints vulnerable to data breaches if the devices are lost or stolen.
Future mobility solutions include virtualization, such as virtual mobile infrastructure (VMI), to take data off of mobile devices, and eliminate the threat of data breaches via stolen devices. If the device is lost or stolen, no data is at risk because no data is stored on the device.
Mobility solutions need to offer users a secure way to easily access patient information while IT can still manage the connections and the content being accessed.